Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Day 3 Kansas: Not as flat as you think, but well centered





Absolutely beautiful! As we cross Kansas on Route 36 the views go on forever. Fields of sunflowers and less trees and more prairie as we go west.

After about 5 hours of subtle beauty, I retired to the back of the camper to play on the computer and jot down a few notes as only as a nerdy urbanite would do. I just discovered how to use the GPS locater that John Durham lent us. Thanks John and thanks to Tojo for keeping those satellites up there. Sadly I can now go down the road and see exactly where we are, where the next town is and never have to look at a map or out the window. Interestingly, when you click on points of interest nothing comes up. How wrong they are. The points of interest are everywhere, just very subtle. I can even see our road speed and once again I caught lead foot Cam going over 70MPH!

We went through the town of Cameron. Fate or Coincidence? Cammie just said “we must be going into the middle of Kansas, the road is getting littler”. I hope we are on the right road. Maybe I will check the GPS again.

We stopped at our first significant point of interest, The Geographical Center of the Continental United States! On a wind swept knoll stands a monument, a miniature chapel that may seat 6 people and an abandon motel. The motel seemed the most interesting to me. All the doors were nailed shut. I did get a picture through a missing doorknob hole. I expected to see skeletons or a strange beam of light. I did get a weird feeling and took a picture through the hole. No it was an odd place

We drove into the evening with the terrain continuing to get more arid and desert like. Our driving target was a huge red ball of a sunset hanging on the horizon for ever. I swear you could see the curve of the earth. We made it to Colorado and pulled into Bonny State Park around 9pm. It was a long day of incredible skies and endless plains.

We made sandwiches and had a celebratory beer while checking out the Milky Way and a distant thunderstorm.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home